Sunday, October 23, 2011

Step into my kitchen my friends

Before we head off to the kitchen let's chat wedding for a moment. I have a few posts that I want to share with you from my wedding. I will share them promise, but I am waiting to get my photo's back from my photographer. After that watch out cause my wedding was FANTASTIC and I can't wait to share it with you!

NOW let's step into my kitchen shall we......

My friend was over quite a while ago for an impromptu visit around dinner time. I had quickly thrown together one of my favourite easy meals and she loved it. She's been asking me for the recipe, and you know those recipes that you don't know how much or can't really sit down and write what you do cause it's one of those, I just do it in the moment without thinking sorts of things??? Well that is what my Tuna Melts are, so last time I made tuna melts I decided to document with photo's so I could show her and you how I make them here on my blog.
Ingredients list
Tuna - 2 cans
Mayo - a few heaping spoonfuls
Herbs particularly DILL!
Pepper (I prefer fresh ground)
Grated Cheese
Bagels or Bread or Buns

 I usually use two cans of tuna, I like chunk light or white tuna in water but really whatever you prefer and/or have on hand will work. I also like to mix it up with a fork I like the way it breaks up the tuna as I mix. but that's just my quirky tuna mixing preference.

 I add just enough Mayo to make it wet, I don't like mine to 'saucy' - I figure I'm saucy enough as is ... ;) - You can use your preference of miracle whip or mayo or salad dressing.... When I make tuna I like to use Mayo, I often buy Hellman's light or Hellman's olive oil light. I don't notice too much of a difference in taste once you have mixed everything together. And for two cans of tuna I'd likely put a few heaping spoonfuls in.

 Next I add the yummy seasonings. Dill is a must! I actually use Victorian Epicure Lemon Dilly Dip Mix just dumping in a bunch, if I were to guess from looking at this photo it's likely around 2 Tbsp, maybe a little less. You may not own VE Lemon Dilly Dip Mix, If I wasn't using it I would use dill, garlic powder, parsley, chives, and maybe try some lemon thyme, really experimenting with any herb you would put on fish I just grab and add bits of anything that sounds good to me at the time.

 Fresh ground pepper of course. My husband loves pepper and so do I! We can't make most things without adding fresh ground pepper. He usually adds more once it's on his plate but I enjoy with it just added into the tuna.

 Now is the yummy cheesy part, I grate a bunch of cheese (my preference is old cheddar) and add a generous handful into the tuna mix. I make sure to set aside enough to add more on top. If needed add a little more mayo, I have it pretty down pat so I can guess how wet when I first add my mayo but it takes a few tries before you figure out and after you add the cheese you might find it becomes too dry. No worries just add a bit more and ta da ... perfecto! This is also the time I would add really finely chopped celery or cucumber if I had that on hand. Probably only about 1/8 cup. I also love to add finely chopped onions or green onions but my husband HATES onions and it must be love, as I don't even buy onions anymore. The things we give up for love, ha ha!

 Using the fork spread out an even coating of tuna on your bread. My preference is to use Bagels, but this day we were out of bagels so just used the yummy grainy bread we had on hand. Open faced buns work too. Now the trick is you don't want to add too much tuna or too little. Too much makes it messy to eat but too little means it is dry. So start with less and add more if you think it needs it.

 Sprinkle a bit of cheese on top and place it on the rack to broil. Now I use our fantastic Toaster Oven that we received as a wedding gift, but you can use the oven if you don't have a toaster oven. Just place it right on the rack or on a pan and put it to broil on high.
 Watch it closely to make sure it doesn't burn you just want the cheese to melt and get gooey. then pull it out and yummy! This is kid pleaser as well, my niece and nephew gobble these up!

 I like to serve with fresh veg and dip. We love hummus dip or as shown here tzatziki! yummy

 ENJOY!

Let me know if you make these and what you think! I hope you enjoy them as much as I do, I know a lot of people make their own variation of the tuna melt, but I really recommend you at least try with the dill and herb based flavour it is my absolute favourite.
I'm always looking for quick and yummy meal ideas. What is your favourite quick & easy no fail meal?



No comments:

Post a Comment